Sunday, March 20, 2011

Flash Card Reading your way into an A+

Flash Card Reading..

Reading a bunch of words that you never heard of before may seem complicated and not understandable especially if you come across words that you can even pronounce. So as you are reading a text and you see that you can't even understand it, you just keep reading; thinking that you will understand it as you go along the text. WRONG ! You have to find out what it truly means so you won't get confused in the text and concept and terms will be so much easier to understand. That is why Flash Card reading is a efficient way to recall and understand information especially when the course pattern is based on DEFINITIONS.


Who is it for ?

Flash card reading is adapted mostly for TEXT DEPENDENT Courses and it's a study aid that is used to help recall information. Not only is it designed for visual learners but as well as kinesthetic and aural learners.
*Flash card reading is best used for courses such as fashion designing, languages, public administration and architecture.

How to do it ?

There are three steps involved for the flash card reading strategies and is crucial to follow; Survey, Read, Review.

1. Survey
You basically just skim the chapter so you can find where the information is located. You may have an idea on what you will be reading about or you can see what the text will be based on by reading the introduction or sub-headings. * When you read how the information is organized and understand what the information of the text purpose is, than you will read more efficiently.

2.Read
As you reading, locate the topic that you don't understand. If you are taking a test, then summarize the reading or chunk down the main points. If you are writing a paper, then write the the page number and quote from where you used the information. Looking back will help you use it in your paper and may even create an idea for your paper as well. Making flashcards will help you learn the material as you go on reading the information in the textbook.
3.Review
After you are done reading, at the back of the flash cards; create 5 questions or more that will help answer the front of the flashcard (summary, or definition). At the end of the week, just review the cards trying to recall the information. *If you don't know the answer then that's the topic you need help in the most. If you are writing a paper, then organize your cards that will help you write the paper by setting it up in topics. This is is helpful because it can help you prepare to write a paper by brainstorming or even test preparation if it's understanding definitions.

Why did I use the Flash Cards in My Spanish Class ?

I used the Flash Cards in my Spanish 201 because the text book I'm using consists more of definitions then summary. There is so much definitions to memorize in a ch
apter that my teacher quizzes the class every Thursday. Making flash cards is like a test preparation for the topic that we are learning. I divide the vocabulary words into separate topics like last week before spring break, we were learning about family. I divided the sub headings into categories such as the roles in a family, personality, etc. Afterward, i just wrote the definitions under those sub- headings and quizzed myself as i was talking the bus back home or lounging on my bed watching T.V. Since i am aural learner, it helped me say the definitions out loud and recall the material faster. If i got stuck on a certain word or didn't know the definition then i will just make sure i would work on that topic specifically.

Likes

I liked using the flash cards for my Spanish class because it helped me become more confident learning the definitions and it helped me become more organized with my definitions. Instead of me taking the textbook everywhere i went, i just carry my flashcards while i go out for lunch or just run a quick errand. It's not time consuming as well.

Dislikes

None.



Why did i use my Flash cards in my Sociology Class?

I used the flash cards in my Sociology Class because this course consists of a lot of definitions. Although this class is NOT a text dependent course, it mostly involves the lecture notes. My professor puts a lot of definitions up on her lecture slides. Not only does it consists of definitions that the class has to learn but it also consists of people and theories. I had to use the flash cards because it help me recall people that were involved in whichever term they were mostly associated with.

Likes


I like using the flash cards because it helped me become more organized with my professor is trying to explain in her lecture notes. Using the flash cards made me review a lot and it made me understand the purpose of why my professor would use the specific terms. It all connected as she would use people and now that i understand the terms and the theories, it makes it so much more easier for me to not look back on the flash cards because i practically know the answer. There is no need for me to look back from the amount of times i looked back on the flash card for the answer. Again, it's a study aid that's light weight and i don't have to be carrying my notebook to every location i go.



Dislikes

None


Conclusion..

I think that this strategies benefits me in both of my classes and i would recommend it for people that are taking courses whose pattern shown that the class consists of definitions like biology, or chemistry etc. I plan on using this for the rest of the semester especially for my Spanish class which is helping me out the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment