Sunday, March 6, 2011

Note Pluggin'




Normally, whenever I take notes, they will go to waste. I write down the info the professor says, only to never look at the notes again. When an exam rolls around, I try to go back and look at the notes, but alas, I cannot read what I wrote down earlier. Want an easy way to actually use your notes, use PLUG-IN NOTES!

Plug-in notes are so helpful. They have you outline the information from your notes that you took that day using a graphic organizer. Through re-writing the info and picking out key points, as a read-writing learner I attain a better grasp on the information. After creating the graphic organizer, you write down potential test questions, to help both your own understanding of the material and to help prepare for the test weeks in advance. This week, I decided to use plug-in notes to help me with preparing for my Psych 205 exam at the end of the month.

During the lecture, I took notes as I usually do. After class, I went into the law library to find a nice secluded area to begin making a graphic organizer. I made a concept map of sorts, although I am not the best at making maps or graphic organizers since my handwriting is poor. I reviewed all the materials, and accordingly put them into proper sub-categories. Then I tried to make some questions that I believe might be on the test. Luckily, my teacher says to mark certain items that will be on the test that week. So while it is tempting to make questions that follow these guides, it might be helpful to also try to create questions on material that he does not point out. So I created around five questions. Then on Friday, after my Psych recitation, I reviewed the notes and answered the questions.

I found this strategy to be helpful, but I need to make a few changes. First of all, I need to start typing up my notes after class. This will be helpful for two reasons. One, through re-writing my ability to learn what was just described to me will increase and it will be easier for me to read what I wrote on the day of class rather than at the end of the week. Second, I need to be more patient while making my concept map or other graphic organizer. I HATE GRAPHIC ORGANIZERS, but I cannot deny that they help outline information WHEN PROPERLY MADE!! I like to rush things, and this week I rushed my concept map because I do not like drawing. But overall plug-in notes is now a permanent tool I am going to use in my studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment