Sunday, March 27, 2011

Two Ways to Memorize, Memorize, Memorize, MEMORIZE

This is an old, but good subject. Memory is very important in our daily lives. But right now, memory is important in our academic lives in college. Many students, including myself, memorize things for a test by simply reading our notes. I sometimes ask myself why if we can memorize songs and movie lines in a few minutes, why we have a hard time memorizing anything that we have to study for class? Luckily, I learned two new strategies that can help me memorize words and terms for my next exams.

Rhymes



It's very simple to do this step. For me, it was hard to find words that I could think of and make a rhyme out of it. I took out from my CFS 205 class various words that are similar, but have a very different meaning. There are two types of Heterogamy that I had to learn for the exam. I decided to make a rhyme and a song out of it (see the picture). It was very easy to make up a song and make rhymes like a poem and saying it many times in order to learn it very well.





LINK

"Find something that sounds like, looks like" These are words that I never forget when I was first introduced to LINK. The idea is simple: finding words that were very hard for me to learn and make a picture that is abstract. As you can see, I found words in my CFS 205 class that were very hard and found things that were really random, funny, and interesting and put them to use as I began to learn the process of looking and learning those words that were very hard for me.

My Thoughts

As a visual and auditory learner looking at the things that I made and the memorization of the words by listening to myself, was not that hard for me. The strategies help me to learn and memorize things really fast. My big disadvantage in all of this is that the strategies are very time consuming and it could take you a long time to find things that you can rhyme and make abstract words out of it. I really don't think that I am going to be using these strategies very often due to the time it takes to come up with it.

I hope that you can try these strategies and see if you can find something better with them and more useful that what I am doing to memorize things. If you have any suggestion for me, please tell me. Who knows? I might try it in the future...

4 comments:

  1. I like how you explained each strategies but i hate to hear that you wont be using these strategies because they are very time consuming !

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all I love the title. It made me want to read your blog right away. I agree with what you said about the rhyme. It took me a long time to create a rhyme and it was very hard to rhyme words. I didnt even like my rhyme I thought it was lame. Like you I will not use rhymes to study again because it took up alot of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really feel like we are on the same page, we both see the value in the methods, but the execution just takes too long. I do also think the title is both funny and engaging, made me want to read the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all for the comments!! I'm glad that I am not the only one who thinks that some of the strategies are time consuming...

    ReplyDelete