Saturday, February 19, 2011

Coping my Problems using the COPER








Stressed of not finding the solution to your problems? Frustrated because you can't be happy ?
Tired of thinking 'WHEN IS THIS GONNA END' ?
Anxious because your thinking the problem would resolve itself sooner or later knowing that it won't unless YOU take action? ...




This is exactly how I felt when I couldn't do my Woman's Gender Reading in PEACE ! Fidgeting in my seat, distracted by my friend's loud voices, hearing music on people's laptop made me just want to tell everybody to BE QUIET ! ... but then who would actually listen to me. In reality, NO ONE!

While reading Dr.Blumin's book "It's all about choices", I realized that the title was really true and in order for me to solve my problem, it would be my choice to fix this annoying situation I was in.

Let's go into depth what that "annoying situation" was and I'm pretty sure everybody has had one of these...

MY PROBLEM


For my Woman's Gender class, I would have assignments for homework to read at least 10 set of pages for each particular chapter. Although they might not seem a lot, it's hard to process everything in your head and understand the terminologies. I would have to be extremely focus and re-read the chapters over again to fully understand the main concepts. What was bothering me was that I couldn't do so because of the surrounding around me. It was either...
  • My room but my bed would be so inviting for me to sleep so that was a NO !
  • The study lounge at Day Hall but my friends were always there which meant DISTRACTIONS !
  • The bad staircase at Day hall, although it was quiet and peaceful, it would be cold there and it got UNCOMFORTABLE to sit on the steps for a long period of time and there wasn't any tables so of course, a BIG NO !
My solution to end this problem ?

I decided to use the COPER which was really helpful for me because it was visual and actually allowed me write out each step to my problems and what i would do to fix it. This method would allow me to organize what my problem was and it allowed me to focus my attention on what i can do to fix it or to have options on fixing it as well.
How do you use this brilliant method ?

First, you make 5 rows and two columns and then you write in each row..
  • Current conditions
  • Options
  • Plan
  • Execute the plan
  • Reflect
On the second column you summarize your responses.
  1. For current conditions, you write out what was your problems, when did it happen, where does it happen and what were the consequences of it. This step helps you analyze the problem.
  2. For options, write out what options you are willing to take to solve your problems and why do you think this would work? Also, write out what do you think the results would be. This step allows you to brainstorm solutions for your problems.
  3. For plan, write when will YOU take action for the Options. *include the date and time. This step allows you to have a set date and commit to it.
  4. For execute, I didn't really understand what to write for this column but i just wrote what i did to accomplish my solution. This allows you to see what you've done to solve your problem.
  5. For reflect, write out how effective your plan was and explain the impact of it. Also, explain if you need to continue this plan or have to consider another option.This allows you to see what was a successful or unsuccessful solution.
My Results

Overall, I tried this method and it helped me see what was a possible solution i can do everyday. First off, i stopped going to the lounge and started going to the library in Bird and Carnegie more often. Everybody studying at the 'quiet room' in bird library respected the fact that it was a quiet room and in Carnegie as well. Although it could get a little noisy in bird library(quiet room), i managed focus on my readings without any distractions. Carnegie was extremely quiet and i could barely hear a pin drop. The only bad thing about Carnegie is that on weekends, they close at 5 in the afternoon. At least i can get my work done on time and concentrate better without any loud noises. My attention span has increased when i read my WGS chapters and i can successfully understand it without any distractions which was often time consuming.

The COPER method has allowed me to actually think about my problem and think of possibilities on what i can do to fix it. It was a guide that allowed me to get up and take action and evaluate the results. I also like the fact that it took off a lot of stress, i mean who doesn't ?



4 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel about wanting to study in peace. Last semester I had a 30 min break in between 2 of my classes so I would go to the study lounge in schine so I could review before my 2nd class started. It was always so loud in the lounge that I never got any work done. I like studying in eggers. Where is your favorite place on campus to study?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh eggers ? is it quiet there ? like really quiet because i am the type of learner that need to be a in REALLY quiet environment in order for me to study or focus on my task. My favorite place to study is at Carnegie which is really quiet and suitable for learners that can focus/learn more without any distractions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked the idea of using the COPER in order to study and execute a plan. A good place where is quiet and you can do your homework is on the Jabberwocky on Schine Underground. I'ts mostly quiet, there are vending machines, and there's a computer cluster next door. It's good that you study between classes.I could use this method to get ahead with my stuff and get it done in time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post was really great. You do a great job outlining every step you take to solve your problem. The maxwell study room in eggers is the best, there are study rooms and not that many people there, very relaxing. I like how you really make your blog visual for yourself and others. The effort shows and it really helps me read your blog.

    ReplyDelete