Friday, April 1, 2011

Avoiding Your Acadamic Fears !

Every single college student has an academic fear, it's just up to the student to overcome it.

Having an academic fear can cause the lack of a motivation to a student. Here are a few academic

Failing tests. Too much absences. Missing homework. Forgot to do a important project. Missing an appointment from a Professor/ T.A Not enough class participation.

These fears can cause a student to stop trying to do better because they are so focused on what had happened so they chose to be a pessimist. THE TRUE FEAR IS WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT ! A student can be scared but they shouldn't think of the worst, they should think of which is the best,realistic action they can take in order to do better. I feel like everybody makes mistakes and you can always learn from them. If someone is losing focus then you have to snap out of it and get back on the game.


What i did..

I made a table and made separate categories,
  • Academic Fears
  • Worst Outcome
  • Best Outcome
  • Action Needed
I prioritized what was the most important fear or had the greatest value from 1,2,3.

My first academic fear is not choosing a major before junior year. I haven't been motivated cause nothing seems to interest me. These classes that I am taking makes me fall asleep in class or just wonder off. Since I am undecided, I fear that i will never find my major ! The only action i can think of to help myself is to just keep taking classes or research around. I really don't know what motivates me. I have been doing community service and nothing really sparks out an interest.

My second academic fear was being absent from class this week ! I have been sick and i know i missed a lot for my classes. I was scared that the absences was going to affect my grades because some teachers are really strict when it comes down to missing their classes. I thought my grade would drop and i thought that the information was necessary for me to learn for a test or final as well.The only thing i could do was go to the T.A office hours and just ask them really nicely if I look over the slides. ( Sociology) and for CLS, i ask my TA, if she could go over it with me and she did. I feel like i just got to be motivated to not miss the test cause i was really scared that i was going get a grade dropped. As long as i don't let this happen again, i should be fine.

My third academic fear was not understanding the information in my Woman's gender class. I had to in the essay on Wednesday but before the week i read the readings which are really hard because i have to be analytical about it. The essay is a 4 page analytical paper of the 9 sets of readings i had to do. I would have trouble with certain articles so i would go to my T.A office hours. That was the best thing that i could have done to help myself write the paper. She would break down what the authors purpose was and she gave me a better understanding. I felt proud of myself cause i went to her for help. I didn't do my paper at the last minute so i felt like that benefited me also cause she saw i worked on the paper as well.

Writing down these academic fears and seeing what action i took made me feel proud of myself because i saw that i actually overcame my academic fear of doing "bad" or "failing". It was up to me to take charge, and i did.

1 comment:

  1. Another great blog!! Your documentation was really nice and well organized. I also agree with what you said about how everyone makes mistakes because it is so true and alot of people fail to remember this. Also try not to stress to much about your major I am a sophmore and I am still undecided. I changed majors at the beginning of the semester and I am still unsure about what I want to do but I talked to a career advisor and it helped alot.

    ReplyDelete