Friday, April 22, 2011

When in Doubt Divide & Use Post-Its!

Can you believe that the semester is coming to an end? I can't. Where has the time gone? In a few short weeks the spring semester will be over. Yay!! Since the semester is almost over it is especially important that everyone continue to use the Task Management Skills that we learned at the beginning of CLS 105. Task management is important for several different reasons. If you are managing your tasks efficiently then you will have time to get all of your assignments done on time so that you will not have to pull all nighters to complete assignments. This week I used the Divide by Four and Post-It Reminder task management skills to help me with finishing my last project for WRT 205 for which I have to make a trailer.


I learned about the Divide by Four strategy at the beginning of the year and I have been using it in my classes during this semester. To use this strategy all you have to do is take an assignment and divide into 4 easier parts. As you can see below I divide my WRT 205 project into four smaller parts so the project is not as hard for me to complete.




Divide by 4 Strategy for WRT 205


The second strategy I used was the Post-It reminder strategy. This strategy is really simple and everyone can do it all you need is post-its. For this strategy you use post-its to organize all the assignments/task that you need to complete. You can use different colored post-its to represent how urgent the assignments are or another way you can use this strategy is to use color coding for a week that tasks need to be accomplished.





Post-It Strategy

Both of these strategies have worked well me this semester by keeping me organized so I will definitely continue to use these strategies to help with my management skills. One reason that I liked these strategies is because I am a linear and visual learner. The divide by four strategy worked well for me because I am a linear learner so information has to be presented to me in a list or sequenced way so that I can understand it which is exactly what this strategy does. The Post-Its strategy helped me alot because I am a visual learner so by using post it notes I am always able to see what assignments I need to finish. As you can see in my pictures I put post-it notes on my desk and on my computer screen so that I always see them and know which tasks need to be completed. I also liked how the divide by four strategy helped me to break down my trailer project in WRT 205 into smaller chunks because when I first heard about the assignment I was overwhelmed by the amount of things that I had to do for this project but the divide by four strategy helped me to see that the project was not as much work as I had originally thought it was. Another good thing about both of these strategies is that they are not time consuming to do, these strategies only take a few minutes of your time. So you should definitely try using both of these strategies because they will both benefit you by keeping you organized.


I hope you the Divide by Four and Post-It strategy will work wonders for you as it has for me this semester. As long as you keep up with your tasks and stay organized you will have no problems completing your end of the semester projects and finals. Good luck with your final exams and do not forget to about all of the strategies that we have learned in CLS 105 this semester.

2 comments:

  1. I liked how you used a lot of pictures to illustrate your documents and you explained the strategies very well ! GREAT BLOG !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog!! Like Melissa said, you used a lot of pictures which really entertained me when I was reading the blog. Good luck on finals!!

    ReplyDelete