Monday, April 18, 2011

A Cigarette a Day Keeps the Stress Away

I have many gray hairs. I got my first when I was five years old. Now I know that this is a hereditary trait of mine because I have several relatives from my mother's side that have grayed early. But most of the time, when people ask, I just tell them that architecture is taking its toll on me, and my grays are due to the stress.

Looking at the strategies we learned this week for dealing with this stress, I found that most of them were ineffective and inconsequential. Five-Minute Escape? Really? Like we needed a book to tell us that sometimes we need to sigh. And yes, I did try it, even though I felt rather foolish doing it. And maybe it was due partly to the stress I was dealing with, or maybe it was the fact that my eyes were closed, or maybe it was both of these things, but rocking my head back and forth made me nauseous and my work seem a little more daunting. So you know how I dealt with my stress? I smoked a delicious, wacky-tobacky cancer stick. That's right folks, just a good ol' fashion nicotine high and I was feeling MUCH better.

As for the other stress management methods in the text, getting your priorities straight is good n' all. I wrote out a list each morning for three mornings. (Found it stressful to try and remember to write the list when I was going to be late for class, just a side note.)

And as for the Stress Reduction Plan, I found that a lot of the things mentioned, I already do. Going to the gym when I find the time is a great way to deal with stress, because when one is at the gym, one concentrates only on exercising and the music from his/her iPod (or Zune if one is a weenie). And one feels much better about him/herself when leaving the gym all flustered and worn out. I personally love to get massaged when I'm feeling stressed, or just whenever. Often I'll study with my girlfriend and she always scratches my head when I get overwhelmed, and I of course would do the same.

But an entire "Plan" on this stuff? A simpler way to describe the "Stress Reduction Plan" would just be: "Do some of the stuff you do when you aren't working." It's more a list of interests that a person may or may not have.

But when the day is done, I find that a cigarette and a cup of tea do wonders for managing my stress. Simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment